Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Elizabeth Dennis & William Olds

I have discovered that Elizabeth Dennis and William Olds, who married at Madron (near Penzance) on 24 July 1841, came to Moonta in South Australia in the 1860s and ended up at Broken Hill, NSW.

Elizabeth's sister Grace Dennis and her husband William Johns Lavars were early arrivals at Geelong, Victoria (around 1850).

Elizabeth and Grace's parents were Richard Dennis and Grace Thomas, and their grandparents were William Dennis and his second wife Olivia Mills, whose children (including Richard) were baptised at Mylor, near Falmouth. Richard and his wife Grace and married daughters Elizabeth Olds and Olivia James all lived as close neighbours at Lanyon, Cornwall in 1851.

I could not find the link between William Dennis and the Dennis family which is the focus of my book, but then again I did not study the parish records for the Falmouth area. I suspect William might be connected to the family of Alexander Dennis of St Levan, because the names Alexander and Richard appear in both branches. If anyone can prove the link I'd be very interested to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment